Saturday, September 5, 2009

the first few fine days in oxford










these first few fine days have been mostly exploring and getting the know the city.  yesterday i walked around the city from 11 in the morning until 9 at night.  needless to say i have a few blisters on my feet. but the city is irresistible and the blisters are hardly noticed when you're walking through buildings and streets that have been established for centuries.  yesterday on our first tour i spent the my time taking fun pictures (when i probably should've been listening a little bit more) and my ears perked up when at about every other building the lady said casual statements like, "this is the building they used in all the harry potters as the hospital wing" or "this is the staircase that they used in ever movie to go into the dining hall"  it's really not a big deal..... (not.)

after the tours of the day the entire oxford group went over to dr. gray's apartment.  dr. gray is a music professor at apu and is the head of our group this semester at oxford.  when we got there he ordered us all pizza and soda and we took the meal to a park outside of their apartment.  "park" is definitely the wrong word to use to describe this area.  it was a huge field of long green grass, flowers, and a pond.  i looked to the otherside of the field and the houses on the other side looked like monopoly pieces.  i didn't even know places like that still existed.

other updates:

NEW ADDRESS! my house can receive mail, and a lot more quickly than the other address

Colleen Huston
222 Abingdon Road
Oxford
OX1 4SP
(how magical is that?!)

other update:

I was just straightening my hair with an american straightener plugged into a converter.  about halfway through doing my hair, i heard the noise of a fake gun being shot.  i almost peed my pants and then looked behind me and saw a large puff of smoke coming from my converter.  well...my hair is half done...and i need to get a new converter...but i got a REALLY good laugh out of it.  worth it. 

countdown to court bort's birthday:
17 days. yeah girl.

I MISS YOU GUYS!

2 comments:

  1. you're such a cute writer! love reading about everything you've been doing! you're having the time of your life. i'm so excited for you! you're greatly missed here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto.

    haha

    That sounds so amazing. I will just pretend that I didn't hear that pizza part. The photos look great. You should try to shoot for a whole day in Black and White.
    I miss you very much. Talk to you when you wake up.

    ReplyDelete