Wednesday, September 2, 2009

abingdon road


today was the big day.  i woke up at 6 in the morning wide eyed and anxious.  i got out of bed around 8 and started packing my enormous suitcases.  i got the bus going to oxford at 9:50 and immediately fell asleep once i had gotten settled.  an hour later i was woken up to the bus driver talking, or possibly shouting, the loud speaker (which was completely unnecessary).  but i opened my eyes and was in oxford.  i think my hand was over my open jaw for the rest of the trip.  the city is exquisite, and it is an incredible honor and blessing to be able to attend school here for an entire semester.  i got off the bus in downtown, glouster green, and had to carry my two suitcases backpack and purse about 2 blocks to find a cab.  4 self given flat tires, and 3 breaks later, i found a cab.  the driver was incredibly helpful and we drove to hertford college to get my orientation packet and key to my new place.  i got my key and drove off to abingdon road.  how magical is that name? we passed an impossibly green park and one block later he stopped at my door.  i struggled with my suitcases, but barely noticed because i was so excited to get inside.  i put my key in, but before i could turn it the door was opened and i was welcomed by 2 of my roommates from George Mason in Washington DC.  our house is great.  complete with 7 rooms, 2 full bathrooms, 1 kitchen (stocked with pots, pans, dishes, and silverware) and gorgeous view of the road and backyard.  it is 3 stories, and i (without taking into account the weight of my suitcases) decided to claim one of the rooms on the third story.  my room is wonderful.  its my own little nook and all my stuff fits perfectly into it.  after i had set my stuff in the room and immediately went into town to walk around and get some lunch.  3 apu girls walked along the streets of oxford for the first time and did a bit of grocery shopping.  then i came back to the house (ok sorry this is a major sidenote but i'm in a pub using their wifi because the house doesn't have it yet and i just looked over at the tv and cricket is on their espn channel...how cool is that! anyways....)  and started unpacking all my stuff and, naturally, turned on bewitched.  tomorrow is a full day of orientation stuff so i'm excited to go to that and get affiliated with the area! 

Colleen's Get These Things Immediately List:

-towels! (i really need to shower!)
-umbrella (it hasn't stopped raining for about 2 hours now...maybe i don't need to shower? ha..)
-laundry basket (dirties are currently strewn across the floor and bed.  i was almost going to use the plastic bag my comforter came in, but then i feel lie i have a little more self respect than that, and it IS for 4 months)
-nail clippers (...i won't even get in to this one...)
-new pillows (i'm allergic to the down ones they gave us...bummer)
-straightener (you don't want to see my hair)
-the new ingrid michaelson cd
-hampton palace (right???)
-dinner.

Current Countdown:

Days til I come back to America: 104 (oh my gosh!)
Days til Mom and Dad come: 23??? I think?? 
Days til Shan Shan's birthday: 26

4 comments:

  1. i don't think the word jealousy is enough.
    green with envy? I'M SO JEALOUS! and i wish we could be there together! it sounds soo dreamy and I'm so glad you're having fun. but i stillll miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are missing a very important countdown...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening to regina and missing you!! I am so jealous that you are in cold weather, while I'm stuck here sweating. Hope things are going well with classes starting....kiiiinda intimidating.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite post so far. The more you write, the more your personality comes out in your writing... I love it.

    I miss you more that you would know. And like Stephanie, I wish i was in that cool rain too. I am dying here.

    Miss you, and you can check Ingrid off of your list ;).

    ReplyDelete